To improve energy performance and cut operating costs, you need to understand how
systems in your building use energy. Energy Trust of Oregon can help by providing free
access through an online platform to a full range of diagnostic tools—ranging from simple light meters to sophisticated infrared cameras. Through an arrangement with the Smart Buildings Center, a regional resource for energy efficiency, commercial and industrial building owners and managers can borrow tools at no charge.
We have a tool for that
The Tool Lending Library has 85 different types of tools—more than 1,000 pieces of equipment—available to borrow. Some of the most popular tools include:
- Infrared camera, which can identify electrical, mechanical or building envelope issues
- Ultrasonic leak detector, which can detect compressed air and steam trap leaks, and detect excessive vibration or problems with bearings, valves, electrical circuit breakers, and relays
- Light meters, which measure light reflection in a space and help determine if an area is over- or under-lit
- Data loggers which can be used easily with almost any type of equipment to evaluate performance and energy use
- Air flow meters, which can help match ventilation to occupancy
How to use diagnostic tools
- Troubleshoot equipment problems
- Reduce maintenance
- Fine tune building performance
- Identify energy waste
- Improve comfort
- Try a tool before purchase
- Locate leaks
Borrowing tools is easy
Tools are available for short-term data collection, ranging from one to four weeks.
- Visit smartbuildingscenter.org/tool-library.
- Read the Tool Lending Library policy and Customer agreement.
- Create, or log in to your account.
- Browse the inventory. Filter for the type of tool or its availability.
- Click “reserve” and select the date range to rent each tool. Request tools
- one week ahead to allow for shipping. Select “start.”
- Go to your cart, give your project a title and fill out the shipping details.
- Submit reservation. Confirmation may take up to two days. Wait for
- confirmation before scheduling your project.
- Receive tools, instructions, fact sheets and a return shipping label.
As an Energy Trust service, the Tool Lending Library is available for customers served by Portland General Electric, Pacific Power, NW Natural, Cascade Natural Gas and Avista. Talk with your Energy Trust program representative about how you can use tools at your site, or visit www.energytrust.org/tool-lending-library.