Oregon nurseries require significant energy, even with our moderate climate. Across the state, nurseries are taking steps to reduce costs and improve yields by taking advantage of Energy Trust of Oregon cash incentives and rebates for upgrades to their greenhouse shells and heating systems. Throughout 2021, we will highlight some of these businesses—telling the story of how each nursery has grown greener and more competitive by investing in energy efficiency.
Energy Trust offers rebates and calculated cash incentives to help make these improvements more affordable. In 2020, eight nurseries took advantage of these incentives, receiving more than $217,000 to help offset the added cost of energy efficiency. Oregon customers of Portland General Electric, Pacific Power, NW Natural, Cascade Natural Gas and Avista are eligible to participate. Tapping into these cash incentives is easy. Below is an overview of what’s available.
We offer rebates for replacing equipment that improves the efficiency of greenhouses heated with natural gas. Rebates do not require pre-approval before installation. Rebate amounts vary by equipment type. Simply purchase qualifying equipment, complete the rebate form within six months and before the end of the year, and submit it to the Standard Industrial and Ag team of Energy Trust.
Natural gas rebates include the following:
- Infrared polyethylene greenhouse cover (Form 420NG)
- Condensing unit heater (Form 420NG)
- Radiant heating (Form 493G)
- Thermal curtain (Form 420NG)
- Under bench heating (Form 420NG)
- Pipe insulation (Form 420IN)
- Greenhouse controller (Form 420NG)
Calculated cash incentives
Calculated incentives are based on estimated annual energy savings and require project pre-approval before purchasing equipment. We offer calculated incentives for the following equipment:
- Greenhouse reglazing, which can reduce heating costs by as much as 30% while increasing the available light for your plants—making them grow faster and stronger.
- Heating system upgrades such as high efficiency boilers and thermal curtains. These can reduce heating costs by as much as 50%.
Your vendor can help you identify the most cost-effective improvements and apply for cash incentives. Contact your greenhouse equipment vendor to get started today. For more information on cash incentives, visit www.energytrust.org/greenhouse or call 503.928.3154.
And be sure to follow our blog for more stories about nurseries throughout Oregon who can speak firsthand about how energy efficiency has contributed to growing their business.